WV Archive

White Voice Archive 2 15 17 19 20 21 22 23 27 29 30 31 32

Friday 15 March 2013

Lionheart - short review

If I haven't posted since Monday on this Blog apologies but I have had my head wrapped around a great new book called "Lionheart" by Sharon Penman. I normally do not expect many battles in a book written by a woman - no I am not a misogynist - it's just it isn't historically their territory. But Sharon Penman blows any thoughts like that out of the water with her five hundred plus page epic "Lionheart".
This is one rollercoaster of a book and I congratulate the author on some superb research and a great 'Afterward' in which she explains her view of one of England's more contraversial kings - Richard I.
Yes, in launching the Third Crusade he did bankrupt his country but on the other hand the description on Richard riding alone down the ranks of the Muslims and challenging any of them to come out and fight, with them all too frightened to face him makes me proud that we once had royalty like that - leading his army from the front and undergoing all the privations and problems even the lowliest in his army faced.
A great book for British patriots and I cannot wait to read some of her other books on British history especially "The Sunne In Splendour"
Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything to say about anything.....